Grievance Policy

The College of Law operates under the Ohio State University Faculty Rules for grievances related to grades.  Under those rules, grades are subject to change only when a procedural error has been discovered in evaluation or recording of a grade.  If a student believes that a procedural error in grading was made, the student should meet with the instructor. If the instructor does not agree that a procedural error was made, the student may meet with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs to discuss the grade grievance. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will respond to the student no later than thirty days after the student has requested a review.

After receipt of the Associate Dean’s response, if the issue is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student, the student may within two weeks request in writing (by duplicate submission to the Dean and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs) that the grade grievance due to grading procedures be reviewed by a faculty committee appointed by the Dean or the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.  The applicable rules and procedures are found under Section 3335-8-23, Alteration of Marks.

Grievances not related procedural errors in grading but instead related to arbitrary and/or discriminatory treatment are covered under the College’s Grievance Procedure as set out in Faculty Rule 1.15.  Under those rules, grievances of a student or a class of students against a faculty member that are based on arbitrary and/or discriminatory treatment are heard by the Dean or his or her designated representative.  If the Dean or the representative determines that the grievance is of a substantial nature, he or she will inform the faculty member of the grievance and attempt to resolve the grievance. If the grievance remains unresolved, the Dean or the representative will conduct a meeting at which the students and faculty member, if they wish to attend, may fully express their views.  The purpose and policy of these meetings is to provide an opportunity for voluntary conciliation of grievances. If conciliation does not result from these procedures, the Dean or the representative may take whatever action is necessary, reasonable, and within his or her power.