The following Program on Law and Leadership events will take place during the 2020-2021 academic year:
PLL kick-off, Barrister Club
- An information session about the Program on Law and Leadership for 1Ls and LL.M.s was held on Thursday, August 27, 2020, via Zoom.
- The kick-off will be recorded to accommodate those students who are unable to attend. We strive to host inclusive, accessible events that enable all individuals, including individuals with disabilities, to engage fully. To request an accommodation or for inquiries about accessibility, please contact Mary Rose Sullivan at 614-247-8879 or email@example.com.
- If unable to attend the Kick-off, please sign up HERE to join the Program on Law and Leadership.
- Mentoring & More Collaboration
- Tuesday, September 29, 12-1:15 p.m., via Zoom: Governor Brian Sandoval, ’89, participating in a Q&A moderated by Prof. Michaels for students in the PLL and students and mentors from the Mentoring & More program.
- Five lunchtime “Conversations” on leadership will be held throughout the year. The fall Conversations will be offered via Zoom; the spring Conversations may be held at the Barrister Club. The PLL Director, Prof. Alan Michaels, former Moritz Dean, will moderate the Q&As.
- Thursday, September 24: Kwame Christian, ’13, Moritz adjunct; Director of the American Negotiation Institute, where he conducts negotiation and conflict management workshops around the country.
- Thursday, October 8, Susan Choe, Executive Director of Ohio Legal Help
- Tuesday, January 26: Janica Pierce Tucker, ’02, Partner-in-Charge of the Taft Columbus office
- Tuesday, March 2: Michael Flowers, ’79, Of Counsel, Director of Diversity and Inclusion, Steptoe & Johnson; former chair of the 50,000-member Section of Business Law of the American Bar Association (ABA) and is a former member of the Board of Governors of the ABA
- Tuesday, February 23: Bob Tannous, ’87; Managing Partner, Porter Wright.
Dean’s Roundtables Series Moderated by Dean Lincoln Davies
- Four lunchtime “Dean’s Roundtable” discussions on leadership will be held throughout the year. The fall Dean’s Roundtables will be offered via Zoom; the spring Dean’s Roundtables may be held at the Barrister Club. Dean Lincoln Davies will moderate the Q&As.
- Tuesday, October 20, Stacia Jones, ’00, owner of her own consultancy; formerly Associate Gen. Counsel and Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer, Abercrombie and Fitch.
- Tuesday, October 13: Chief Judge Algenon L. Marbley, Chief Judge of the Southern District of Ohio
- Thursday, January 21: Ohio Supreme Court Justice Judith French, ’88
- Tuesday, March 9: Michael Martz, managing partner of Vorys, Sater & Pease
Leadership Skills Workshops
- Two leadership skills workshops will be offered during the year; one during the fall semester, the other in the spring semester.
- Friday, November 6, 1-3:30 p.m., via Zoom: Mark Beese, “Leadership for Law Students,” on overview of what makes an effective lawyer-leader, and how to develop those skills. Mark is President of Leadership for Lawyers, a consultancy focused on helping lawyers and other professionals become better leaders. He is a frequent speaker on the topics of leadership, innovation and design thinking. He is an adjunct faculty member at the U. of Denver Sturm School of Law, where he teaches Strategic Marketing and Business Development.
- Friday, February 19, 1-3 p.m., (possibly, in person): Patt Hardie, “Leading Teams and Teaming with Others,” focusing on what makes an effective team, and how to build one. As CEO and Managing Partner of The Hardie Group, Patt’s consulting focus is leadership and team performance. She is a trusted advisor/coach with over 30 years’ experience in talent, leadership, and organizational development.
- Thursday, February 4, 2021,facilitated by Prof. Bill Froehlich, Deputy Director of the Divided Community Project.. Hopefully will be offered in-person