Paul Gatz is a reference librarian at the Moritz Law Library. He provides research and reference assistance to faculty, students, and the public and teaches Advanced Legal Research: Litigation and ADR.
Before joining the Moritz Law Library, Gatz was the reference and student services librarian at the Texas Tech University Law Library. He also worked at the Albert E. Jenner, Jr. Memorial Law Library at the University of Illinois while pursuing his library science degree.
Gatz practiced law in Illinois as a staff attorney at the Illinois Legislative Reference Bureau for two years before entering the library profession. During that time, he drafted legislation in the subject areas of elections, state finance, and financial regulation.
Gatz graduated magna cum laude from Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois, with a B.A. in Philosophy, and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. He earned his J.D. from the University of Illinois College of Law, where he graduated cum laude and was a production editor on the Journal of Law, Technology, and Policy. Gatz returned to Urbana-Champaign to earn his M.S.L.I.S. at the University of Illinois Graduate School of Library and Information Science.
Gatz is a member of the American Association of Law Libraries, the Ohio Regional Association of Law Libraries, and the Columbus Bar Association.
Selected publications and presentations
- Book review of Plutocrats United: Campaign Money, the Supreme Court, and the Distortion of American Elections, 109 Law Libr. J. 154 (2017).
- “Make Research Great Again: Building Resources and Skills for Researching Election Law,” Ohio Regional Association of Law Libraries (ORALL) Annual Meeting, Dayton, Ohio (October 20, 2016) (with Matt Cooper).
- “Citation and Court Rules in Ohio,” Columbus Bar Association (CBA) Summer Associate Seminar (June 3, 2016).
- “Legal Research Experts Are Made Not Born: How to Design, Implement, and Expand a Successful Legal Research Program” (Panelist), Southwestern Association of Law Libraries (SWALL) Annual Meeting, Boulder Colorado (April 11, 2015).
- One Among Many: With So Much Legal Information for Free on the Web, What Role Remains for the Law Library?, AALL Spectrum, Apr. 2014 at 9 (with Paul D. Healey).