Ellen E. Deason
Ellen E. Deason is the Joanne Wharton Murphy/Classes of 1965 and 1973 Professor in Law at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law.
Deason’s recent scholarly work focuses on judicial mediation, combinations of mediation and arbitration, and enforcement of mediated settlement agreements. She has also written extensively on the topic of confidentiality in mediation. She is the co-author of a book on Global Issues in Mediation, and casebooks for Civil Procedure and Alternative Dispute Resolution courses. Deason served on the advisory committee for the drafting of the Uniform Mediation Act and participated in training mediators after it was enacted in Ohio. She is a co-author of a Civil Procedure casebook, an Alternative Dispute Resolution casebook, and a book on Global Issues in Mediation.
She is the reporter for the Uniform Law Commission’s Committee to Monitor Developments in Civil Procedure and Dispute Resolution. Earlier she served as the reporter for a drafting committee for a Uniform Act on Protection of Genetic Information in Employment and Insurance and participated on the advisory committee during the drafting of the Uniform Mediation Act.
Deason served as the faculty director of the Moritz LL.M. program from 2006-2010. She is a past-Chair of the American Association of Law Schools Section of Alternative Dispute Resolution. Before joining the faculty at Moritz in 2003, Deason taught at the University of Illinois College of Law. Earlier, she practiced litigation and settlement as an associate with Morrison & Foerster in Washington, D.C.
Deason served as a law clerk for Judge Harry T. Edwards on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and Justice Harry A. Blackmun of the U.S. Supreme Court. She also was a legal assistant to Arbitrator Howard M. Holtzmann, Iran-United States Claims Tribunal. She was editor-in-chief of the Michigan Law Review. Prior to attending law school, Deason worked as a research scientist in biological oceanography, and she is widely published in scientific journals.
Deason currently teaches Civil Procedure, International Commercial Arbitration, Mediation, Dispute Resolution Processes: Theory and Practice, and Exploring the Lawyer-Client Relationship.
- Association of American Law Schools Section of Alternative Dispute Resolution Award for “Best Article of 2017” (2018)
- Ohio State University Alumni Award for Distinguished Teaching (2016)
- Morgan E. Shipman Professor of the Year (2015)
- Student Bar Association “One-L Professor of the Year” (2010)
- Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution “Award for Outstanding Service” (2010)
- Order of the Coif
- Editor-in-chief, Michigan Law Review Volume 84
- Click here for copies of Prof. Deason’s Articles.
- Nolan-Haley, E. Deason, & M. C.-H. Gonstead, Global Issues in Mediation (2019).
- Cross, L. Abramson, & E. Deason, Civil Procedure: Cases, Problems & Exercises (4th ed. 2016).
- Brunet, C. Craver, & E. Deason, Alternate Dispute Resolution: The Advocate’s Perspective (5th ed. 2016).
- Dimensions of Quality of Justice, in Discussions in Dispute Resolution ( Cole, A. Hinshaw & A. Schneider, eds., forthcoming Oxford University Press 2020).
- What’s in a Name? The Terms “Commercial” and “Mediation” in the Singapore Convention on Mediation, Cardozo Journal of Conflict Resolution (forthcoming 2019).
- Deason, M. Green, D. Shestowsky, R. Van Loo & E. Waldman, ADR and Access to Justice, 33 Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution 303-336 (2018).
- Colker, E. Deason, D. Merritt, A. Shoben & M. Smith, Formative Assessments: A Law School Case Study, 94 University of Detroit Mercy Law Review 388-428 (2017).
- Beyond “Managerial Judges”: Appropriate Roles in Settlement, 78 Ohio State Law Journal 73-144 (2017). (Recipient of the Association of American Law Schools Section of Alternative Dispute Resolution Award for “Best Article of 2017”).
- Enforcing Settlement Agreements in International Commercial Mediation: A New Legal Framework?, 22 ABA Dispute Resolution Magazine 32-38 (Fall 2015).
- Combinations of Mediation and Arbitration with the Same Neutral: A Framework for Judicial Review, 5 Yearbook on Arbitration and Mediation 219-249 (2013).
- Deason, Y. Efron, R. Howell, S. Kaufman, J. Lee & S. Press, Debriefing the Debrief, in Educating Negotiators for a Connected World: Volume 4 in the Rethinking Negotiation Teaching Series 301-332 (C. Honeyman, J. Coben & A. Lee, eds. 2013).
- Deason, Y. Efron, R. Howell, S. Kaufman, J. Lee & S. Press, Debriefing Negotiation Adventure Learning, in Educating Negotiators for a Connected World: Volume 4 in the Rethinking Negotiation Teaching Series 333-342 (C. Honeyman, J. Coben & A. Lee, eds. 2013).
- K. Schneider, E. Deason, D. Chen & Z. Xiahong, Ethics in Legal Negotiation: A Cross Cultural Perspective, in Educating Negotiators for a Connected World: Volume 4 in the Rethinking Negotiation Teaching Series 247-266 (C. Honeyman, J. Coben, & A. Lee, eds. 2013).
- Goh, E. Deason, H. Chamoun-Nicolas, J. Folberg & S. Singh, As We See It, in Educating Negotiators for a Connected World: Volume 4 in the Rethinking Negotiation Teaching Series 103-124 (C. Honeyman, J. Coben, & A. Lee, eds. 2013).
- Delicado, H. Falcao, E. Deason, S. Press, S. Ali, E. Blanchot & H. Chamoun-Nicolas Assessing Negotiation Competitions, in Assessing Our Students, Assessing Ourselves: Volume 3 in the Rethinking Negotiation Teaching Series 213-245 (N. Ebner, J. Coben & C. Honeyman eds. 2012).
- “Alternative” Dispute Resolution in the United States, in Jurisprudence 520-557 (Bin Liang & Hong Lu, eds. 2011) (translated into Chinese by Xiaoyi “Amy” Sun) (published by Renmin Daxue Chubanshen [Renmin University of China Press] as part of the Series on Western Research in the Humanities and Social Sciences).