Moritz student publications
If you are a student or alumnus who has published a paper that is not featured here, please email Sarah Cole.
- Margaret M. Huck (’21), The Value of Online Dispute Resolution in Family Law, International Journal of Online Dispute Resolution (2020).
- Mark Widerschein (’20), Whiskey is for Drinking, Water is for Fighting Over: Lessons from Peacemaking Mediation for the Lasting Resolution of Water Allocation Disputes in the American West, 67 U. Denver Water L. Rev. (2019-2020).
- Dominic D. Saturday (’18) et al., Get Off the Courts: Using ADR Principles to Resolve High School Sports Disputes, 28 Marq. Sports L. Rev. 359 (2018).
- Collin R. Flake (’15), Third Party Funding in Domestic Arbitration: Champerty or Social Utility?, 70 Disp. Res. J. 109 (March, 2015).
- Stephanie Klupinski (’10), Lindsay Nichols (’13), and Kevin Stanek (’13), Public Schools, Private Employers? A Closer Look at the Labor Relations of Public Charter Schools, 32 Ill. St. Educ. L. & Pol. J. 22 (2012)
- Joseph Barsalona (’12), Litigation Supply Should Not Exceed Shareholder ADR Demand: How Proper Use of the Demand Requirement in Derivative Suits Can Decrease Corporate Litigation, 90 Or. L. Rev. 773 (2012)
- Kristen Blankley (’04), Keeping a Secret from Yourself? Confidentiality When the Same Neutral Serves Both as Mediator and as Arbitrator in the Same Case, 63 Baylor L. Rev. 317 (2011).
- Susan Landrum (’09), The Ongoing Debate about Mediation in the Context Of Domestic Violence: A Call for Empirical Studies of Mediation Effectiveness, 12 Cardozo J. Conflict Resol. 425 (2011).
- Nathan Witkin (’08), The Interspersed Nation-State System: A Two-State/One-Land Solution for the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, The Middle East Journal, Volume 65, Number 1, Winter 2011, pp. 31-54(24).
- Kristin Blankley (’04), Interlocutory Appeal of Non-Final Class Action Arbitration “Awards”, 34 Vermont L. Rev. 439 (2010).
- Kristin Blankley (’04), John Minter (’04), Emily E. Root, Multi-Jurisdictional ADR Practice: Lessons for Litigators, 11 Cardozo J. Conflict Resol. 29 (2010).
- Toward a Protocol for Administrative Agency Mediation in Ohio, (Carly Lane Morgan ed., 2009), available at https://moritzlaw.osu.edu/programs/adr/docs/agencymediation.pdf.
- Nathan Witkin (’08), Co-resolution: A Cooperative Structure for Dispute Resolution, 26 Conf. Resol. Q. 239 (Winter 2008).
- David M. Shelton (’07), Keeping End-of-Life Decisions Away from Courts After Thirty Years of Failure: Bioethical Mediation as an Alternative for Resolving End-of-Life Disputes, 31 Hamline L. Rev. 103 (2008).
- Matthew Bierlein (’06), Seeing the Face of the Patient: Considerations in Applying Bioethics Mediation to Non-Competent End-of-Life Decisionmaking, 23 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 61 (2007).
- Michelle Robinson (’06), Mediator Certification: Realizing its Potentials and Coping with its Limitations, 1 Am. J. Mediation 51 (2007), available athttp://www.acctm.org/docs/Mediator%20Certification%20Realizing%20Its%20Potentials%20_STULBERG-Robinson_%20REVISION%20Paper%20-%20independent%20study%20version.pdf.
- Cross Cultural Negotiation for U.S. Negotiators, (Kristen Blankley ed., 2006) available at https://moritzlaw.osu.edu/programs/adr/docs/cross_cultural_negotiation.pdf.
- Matthew Daiker (‘06): No J.D. Required: The Critical Role and Contributions of Non-Lawyer Mediators, 24 Rev. Litig. 499 (2005), available at http://www.utexas.edu/law/journals/trol/abstract.php?volume=24&page=499.
- Kristen M. Blankley, Arbitrability After Green Tree v. Bazzle: Is There Anything Left for the Courts?, 65 Oh. St. L.J. 697 (2004).
- Stephen P. Anway, Mediation in Copyright Disputes: From Compromise Created Incentives to Incentive Created Compromises, 18 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol 439 (2003).
- Erika Van Ausdall, Confirmation of Arbitral Awards: The Confusion Surrounding Section 9 of the Federal Arbitration Act, 49 Drake L. Rev. 41 (2000).
- Planning Mediation Programs: A Deskbook for Common Pleas Judges (2000), available at http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/Publications/pmd.pdf.
Student Notes in the Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution
Kaleb L. McHale, Improving ADR in the States’ Criminal Justice Systems: A Case that States Should Adopt the U.S. Military’s System of Nonjudicial Punishment, 30 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 147 (2015).
Ruxton McClure, “Can the Leopard Change its Spots?–A Call for an African Dispute Resolution Mechanism, 29 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 333 (2014).
- Kathryn A. Mayer, Negotiation Past the Zero-Sum of Intractable Sovereignty Positions by Exploring the Potential of Possible Party Interests: A Proposed Dispute Resolution Framework for the Tobacco Tax Debacle between the State of New York & the Seneca Nation of Indians, 28 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 771 (2013).
- Emily Farinacci, In a Bind: Mandatory Arbitration Clauses in the Corporate Derivative Context, 28 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 737 (2013).
- Josh Vaughan, Arbitration in the Aftermath of the Arab Spring: From Uprisings to Awards, 28 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 491 (2013).
- Aric Birdsell, Hosanna-Tabor Culture Gap: A Case for Settling Church & Minister Employment Disputes through Religious Arbitration, 28 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 519 (2013).
Volume 27, Issue 4 (2012)
- Megan Fulcher, Compelling Mentally Incompetent Persons to Arbitrate Claims: Why Dusky and Drope Should apply, 27 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 683 (2012).
Volume 27, Issue 1 (2012)
- Elbert H. Aull IV, Zero Tolerance, Frivolous Juvenile Court Referrals, and the School-to-Prison Pipeline: Using Arbitration as a Screening-Out Method to Help Plug the Pipeline, 27 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 179 (2012).
- Christopher Immormino, I’m Gonna Knock You Out: Why Physical Force is a Legitimate Form of Dispute Resolution, 27 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 207 (2012).
- Jacqueline Rau, No Fault Discrimination? Using the Americans with Disabilities Act as a Model for “Norm Advocating” Mediation in Title VII Disputes, 27 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 241 (2012).
Volume 26, Issue 4 (2011)
- Emily Beach, Nudging Testators Toward Holistic Estate Planning: Overcoming Social Squeamishness on the Subjects of Money and Mortality, 26 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 701 (2011).
- Trevor Levine, Two Worlds Collide: Salary Arbitration for NHL Players in the Salary Cap Era, 26 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 729 (2011).
Volume 26, Issue 1 (2011)
- Nate Mealy, Mediation’s Potential Role in International Cultural Property Disputes, 26 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 169 (2011).
- Michael Diamond, ‘Energized’ Negotiations: Mediating Disputes over the Siting of Interstate Electrical Transmission Lines, 26 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 217 (2011).
Volume 25, Issue 4 (2010)
- Rachel Butt, Using Arbitration to Determine Fair Use in the Visual Arts, 25 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 1055 (2010).
- Drew LaFramboise, Arbitration of Habeas Corpus Actions, 25 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 1023 (2010).
Volume 25, Issue 3 (2010)
- Alexandra Tuffuor, Note, Mediation in Place of Sexually Transmitted Disease Litigation, 25 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 783 (2010).
Volume 25, Issue 2 (2010)
- Erin Butcher-Lyden, Note, The Need for Mandatory Mediation and Arbitration in Election Disputes, 25 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 531 (2010).
- Briana L. Seagriff, Note, Keep Your Lunch Money: Alleviating Workplace Bullying with Mediation, 25 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 575 (2010)
Volume 24, Issue 3 (2009)
- Andrew K. Lavin, Note, Achieving Peace in Iraq through Negotiations: Lessons Learned from the Northern Ireland Peace Process, 24 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 571 (2009).
- Kevin Mahoney, Note, Learning from the Mistakes of Others: Changing Major League Baseball’s Substance Abuse Arbitration Procedure, 24 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 613 (2009).
Volume 24, Issue 2 (2009)
- Katie Jory, Note, Mandatory Arbitration Clauses in Payday Lending Loans: How the Federal Courts Protect Unfair Lending Practices in the Name of Anti-Protectionism, 24 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 315 (2009).
- Sarah Rogers, Note, Online Dispute Resolution: An Option for Mediation in the Midst of Gendered Violence, 24 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 349 (2009).
Volume 23, Issue 2 (2008)
- David A. Fitzgerald II, Note, Saving Alternative Dispute Resolution in Patent Law: Countering the Effects of the Patent Troll Revolution, 23 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 345 (2008).
- Nathan Witkin, Note, Interest Group Mediation: A Mechanism for Controlling and Improving Congressional Lobbying Practices, 23 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 373 (2008).
Volume 22, Issue 3 (2007)
- David M. Shelton, Note, Cooper Industries v. Aviall Services: Destroying the Incentive for Negotiated Settlements and Undermining the Increased Use of Alternative Dispute Resolution Under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, 22 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 839 (2007).
- Larysa Sims, Note, Criminal Mediation is the BASF of the Criminal Justice System: Not Replacing Traditional Criminal Adjudication, Just Making it Better, 22 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 797 (2007).
- Yolanda Vorys, Note, The Best of Both Worlds: The Use of Med-Arb for Resolving Will Disputes, 22 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 871 (2007).
Volume 22, Issue 2 (2007)
- Zahid Amin, Note, Exposing Dead Air: Challenging the Constitutional Sufficiency of Uninsured Motorist Arbitration Procedures, 22 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 527 (2007).
- Alicia M. Hehr, Note, A Child Shall Lead Them: Developing and Utilizing Child Protection Mediation to Better Serve the Interests of the Child, 22 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 443 (2007).
- Wayne F. Miller, Note, Negotiating with Modernity: Amish Dispute Resolution, 22 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 477 (2007).
Volume 21, Issue 3 (2006)
- Shawn P. Davisson, Note, Privatization and Self-Determination in the Circuits: Utilizing the Private Sector Within the Evolving Framework of Federal Appellate Mediation, 21 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 953 (2006).
- Jennie K. Ferguson, Note, Can Arbitration Play a Saving Role in Women’s Health? The Use of Arbitration in the OB/GYN Specialty, 21 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 1005 (2006).
- Tracy J. Simmons, Note, Mandatory Mediation: A Better Way to Address Status Offenses, 21 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 1043 (2006).
Volume 21, Issue 2 (2006)
- Alejandro V. Cortes, Note, The H-2A Farmworker: The Latest Incarnation of the Judicially Handicapped and Why the Use of Mediation to Resolve Employment Disputes Will Improve Their Rights, 21 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 409 (2006).
- Ryan P. Hatch, Note, Coming Together to Resolve Police Misconduct: The Emergence of Mediation as a New Solution, 21 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 447 (2006).
- Stephen M. Yoost, Note, The National Hockey League and Salary Arbitration: Time for a Line Change, 21 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 485 (2006).
Certificate in Dispute Resolution
The Program on Dispute Resolution offers over 20 courses on various topics in the field, from commercial arbitration to inter-ethnic conflict resolution. Students who enroll in a minimum 15 credit hours of ADR courses and complete an externship requirement are awarded a Certificate in Dispute Resolution. The Program’s signature course, the Mediation Practicum, is offered every semester. As part of this course, students are able to mediate legal disputes in courts and other venues throughout the Columbus area.