The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, a leading research institution among law schools in the United States, accepts applications from legal scholars from around the world to join our Visiting Research Scholar Program. The Moritz College of Law hosts top legal researchers covering an array of contemporary legal topics. The Moritz Law Library is the largest law library in the state, and is a great source of support in the development of legal scholarship. In addition to having access to the legal collection at our library, scholars can also access the 24 libraries with over 5.8 million volumes across campus.
The Ohio State University is a leading research academic institution not only in the United States, but is among the world’s best universities. Visiting Scholars at the College of Law are able to benefit from the rich research atmosphere at the campus and work in collaboration with a member of the faculty. The university is located in Columbus, the capital of Ohio and a thriving city close to major cities in the United States, such as Chicago, Washington D.C., and New York.
Please note that we have a limited number of visiting scholars positions and we encourage early applications; preferably apply a year before you plan to arrive to OSU. Applications take several weeks to review and applicants will be contacted only if a faculty member is identified as a faculty sponsor. A Skype/WeChat interview is then scheduled. Decisions and invitation letters are only sent after all of the steps have been completed for those who are admitted.
Visiting scholars should apply via this online application form and upload the following documents:
- CV/Resume which describes your professional accomplishments, educational background, employment history, publications, and awards; must include complete mailing and permanent addresses, phone number(s), and email address;
- Two- to three-page statement of your research project;
- Two letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your credentials; must be on letterhead from the university/business, with an original signature;
- Description of your anticipated source of funding for your stay at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law;
- A copy of your TOEFL score report (highly recommended, but not required); and
- A scanned copy of your passport.
The program fee for visiting scholars is $1,200 per semester, with no fee for the summer semester. Visiting scholars also pay a $400 fee to process their visa application. Fees can be waived for visiting scholars from our partner universities.
• Visitors are required to purchase health insurance for themselves and their families. Details about this insurance requirement will be sent with the DS-2019, once visiting scholars are admitted.
• Visitors should not plan to work while in the U.S. They are expected to spend their time pursuing their research project and have the option of auditing classes.
• Visitors will be asked to submit a brief report before their departure date that includes information on the research topic, progress made on the topic during the visit, how the research will benefit the visiting scholar’s professional life (and sponsor, if applicable), and any administrative suggestions for the Assistant Dean.