There are many opportunities to develop a deeper understanding of various areas of law. Our professors are passionate about sharing the most fascinating aspects of their areas of expertise with students in the classroom. Programs, courses, journals, and student groups round out the learning experience for students, giving students freedom to explore their interests and refine their skills.
Public Interest Law
Law has long been associated with creating and sustaining a just society. Public interest practice may involve providing free or low-cost legal representation because of poverty, age, youth, or similar reason and/or using the law to advance a particular social cause.
Public interest law is not a substantive area of law. Rather, public interest lawyers work in many different practice areas and for a broad range of employers. They may litigate, handle transactional work, or conduct advocacy.
Two of Moritz’s most active student groups involve public interest. The Public Interest Law Foundation (PILF) hosts a multitude of social events and auctions throughout the year. The money raised is used to support law students working in nonpaying or low-paying summer positions in public interest. PILF also hosts guest speakers and events highlighting public interest career options and volunteer opportunities. The Class of 2013 volunteered more than 16,500 hours to public interest organizations during their three-year stay at Moritz.
The Pro Bono Research Group provides legal research and writing services to practicing attorneys working on pro bono cases. Often, these attorneys are volunteering their services to a legal aid foundation or court and need assistance in researching legal questions. Moritz students provide this research and work directly with the practicing attorneys. Students with a strong interest in public policy may also consider pursuing a joint degree in public policy with the John Glenn School of Public Policy.
Find course offerings in this area with our Course Explorer.
Programs & Other Opportunities
- Advocates for Children
- Capt. Jonathan D. Grassbaugh Veterans Project
- Mentoring and More @ Moritz
- Moot Court and Lawyering Skills Governing Board
- Pro Bono Research Group
- Public Interest Law Foundation
- Truancy Mediation Project
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
- As graduation approaches, 3L prepares to join Federal Honors Attorney Program
- Greif Fellowship allows alumna to pursue dream of helping victims of human trafficking
- Alumna uses legal skills to guide foundation that helps find loving homes for foster children
- 3L student uses time in law school to prepare for career in public interest field
- 3L spends summer helping immigrant workers in Illinois
- Michelle Chavanne ’01 uses legal degree to help shape higher education in Ohio