There are many opportunities to develop a deeper understanding of various areas of law. Our professors are passionate about sharing the most fascinating aspects of their areas of expertise with students in the classroom. Programs, courses, journals, and student groups round out the learning experience for students, giving students freedom to explore their interests and refine their skills.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Increasingly, courts are moving beyond traditional trials and appeals to help clients find satisfactory resolutions to their disagreements. Negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and other processes are helping parties reach satisfying outcomes.
Moritz has one of the country’s finest programs in alternative dispute resolution (ADR), as it is consistently ranked among the nation’s top programs by our peers. Faculty members are national leaders in the ADR field, have published hundreds of books and articles, and frequently speak on or serve as mediators for high-profile disputes around the world.
Courses in ADR benefit students interested in litigation, transactional, and government practice as well as those interested in management and leadership. To help fine-tune skills, Ohio State allows students to mediate actual disputes through one of the nation’s longest-running mediation clinics. J.D. students have an opportunity to earn a Certificate in Dispute Resolution, and LL.M. students may choose to concentrate in ADR.
Find course offerings in this area with our Course Explorer.
Programs & Other Opportunities
- 2019 Lawrence Lecture and Negotiation Competition
- 2018-19 Schwartz Lecture on Dispute Resolution
- Certificate in Dispute Resolution
- Externship Opportunities
- Lawrence Negotiation Competition
- Mediation Clinic
- Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution
- Program on Dispute Resolution
- Student Honors & Awards
- Time as Langdon Fellow helped propel John Minter, ’03, to career in mediation
- Meet Our LLM Students: Abrori Charliene
- Big plans for a small town: 3L student makes waves winning AALA’s Student Poster Contest
- Alumnus uses mediation to solve disputes at home and abroad
- Kathryn Mayer ’13 uses ADR skills to give voice to those with disabilities
- Deason wins university teaching award