Moritz Law Library
- Library Home
- Legal Research Databases
- Research Guides
- OSU Libraries/WorldCat@OSU
- Library Catalog
- My Record
- Opinio Juris
- Moritz Legal Information Blog
- Exam Archives
- Audio/Visual Services
- About the Moritz Law Library
- New Acquisitions
Research Guides: Out of State Job Searching Resources Available to Moritz Students
National Legal Directories
Use legal directories to browse for attorneys & firms that you may want to contact for an informational interview or for job openings. These can also help you prepare for a job interview by learning more about the attorneys you will meet at interviews.
- Martindale-Hubbell Online
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (Full Catalog Record)
- The American Bar (Full Catalog Record)
This directory lists the editor's choices for best attorneys in the nation. Entries are arranged geographically and include the attorneys' birth place and year, colleges attended, and practice areas.
- Directory of Corporate Counsel (Full Catalog Record)
- Martindale-Hubbell Corporate Law Directory (Full Catalog Record)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers (Full Catalog Record)
This directory is meant to help businesses choose which lawyers to hire, but it is a useful index of lawyers and law firms by geography or by special areas such as Arbitration, Insurance or Water Rights.
- The Directory of Legal Aid and Defender Offices in the United States and Territories (Full Catalog Record)
City or State Legal Directories
Local directories usually include an advertisement section that may include information on legal recruiters, staffing services, and temporary services.
- Sullivan's Law Directory for the State of Illinois (Full Catalog Record)
This directory provides detailed information about judges, lawyers and law firms including direct phone and fax numbers and mailing addresses
- Legal Times Directory of Metro DC Law Offices Reserve Room (Full Catalog Record)
- Directory of San Francisco Attorneys (Full Catalog Record)
- San Diego Lawyer Directory (Full Catalog Record)
State Bar Associations
Student memberships are usually very reasonable priced. As a member, you may receive publications with local job listings or access to members only sections of the web site.
Legal Newspapers and Bar Journals
Local bar publications are another source for job postings. Regularly reviewing local legal newspapers or bar publications helps you get a sense of the legal community.
The library subscribes to a wide variety of legal newspapers and bar journals. Many are also available on Lexis or Westlaw. Use the OSU Library Catalog to find publication - search by subject with the term "law- [State name] - periodicals" e.g.: Ohio
State Legal Research Guides
If you're interested in online guides, check out the web site of an academic law library in the area. (Links to academic law libraries in the United States are available at the ALL-SIS web site)
Quality of Life
- Sperling's Best Places compares cities, including cost of living. (Some features require membership, which is free.)
- Quality of life links collected by the Librarians Index to the Internet can be used to compare cost of living, transportation, crime and other issues in major US cities
- The National JobsBank (Full Catalog Record)
The JobsBank series collects information on major companies and industries in a particular city or state. While the "legal services" listings are not very detailed, it can give you a snapshot of the major businesses and industries in the community.
Last updated 10/18/2011