Students at Moritz can gain experience in a variety of lawyering skills by competing in the intramural and interscholastic competitions administered by the Moot Court and Lawyering Skills Program. The Program’s Director, Elizabeth Sherowski, is assisted by the Moot Court and Lawyering Skills Governing Board, which consists of a Chief Justice, seven Executive Justices, and nine Associate Justices.
The Moot Court & Lawyering Skills Governing Board is responsible for the following intramural competitions at Moritz:
- James K.L. Lawrence Negotiations Competition (open to all 2Ls & 3Ls)
- Appellate Advocacy Performance Arguments (open to 2Ls)
- Moritz Representation in Mediation Competition (open to all 2Ls & 3Ls)
- Herman Moot Court Competition (open to all 2Ls)*
- 1L Moot Court Competition (open to all 1Ls)
- Michael F. Colley Trial Competition (open to all 2Ls & 3Ls who have taken or are currently taking Evidence)
*Represents one of two opportunities for 2Ls to earn a slot on one of twelve travel teams for the following academic year.
The Governing Board also assists the Director in supervising the Travel Team Program, where second- and third-year law students represent Moritz at moot court and lawyering skills competitions across the country. Recent Travel Team Program successes include:
- 2013 National Champions, Sutherland Cup Moot Court Competition
- 2013 Best National Advocate, ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition
- 2013 National Semifinalists, ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition
- 2013 Best Mediator, Great Lakes Mediation Tournament
- 2012 Regional Champions, National Moot Court Competition
- 2012 Regional Champions, ABA Negotiation Competition
For more information contact email@example.com.