The mission of the Military Law Students Association (MLSA) is to promote the interests of the military within the legal community. The organization strives to foster a relationship between the Moritz College of Law and Central Ohio, to support the American men and women of the Armed Forces, and to educate the college and local community about careers in the Judge Advocate General (JAG) Corps as well as military and national security law more generally.
Our members include students who are veterans, are on active duty, are interested in a career with the Armed Forces, have family or friends in the Armed Forces, want to support the Armed Forces, or are interested in military and national security law.
If you are interested in joining MLSA or have any questions please contact Kelsey Kornblut at firstname.lastname@example.org or 216-570-4729. Also, please like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/moritzmlsa
Events for the year include:
1. Initial Interest Meeting on Monday September 29 at 12:10 in Room 251.
2. 15 Years After September 11, 2001 Panel on September 8th at 12:10 in Saxbe Auditorium. The panel will discuss the impacts on National Security, Civil Liberties, the Military, and International Law. Panelists include Professor Rudesill (national security law scholar), Professor Jaffer (national security law scholar), Professor Helal (international law scholar), and MAJ Schwade (Army JAG Officer).
3. Moritz College of Law 10th Annual Race Judicata. This year’s Race Judicata will be held on Saturday, September 17, 2016. The route will start and finish on OSU’s South Oval and will take runners through OSU’s campus. The race welcomes OSU students and alumni, members of the legal community, veterans and current military personnel, families and friends, and running enthusiasts throughout Ohio. The proceeds from the event will be donated to The Captain Jonathan D. Grassbaugh Veteran’s Project (GVP). GVP, through the help of volunteer attorneys and Moritz students, provides free assistance to veterans, current service members, and their families in the Columbus area facing legal issues in the areas of landlord/tenant disputes, foreclosures, consumer law, and relief from default judgment. GVP was founded in 2013 by a 2014 alumni of Moritz College of Law, Jenna Grassbaugh, in honor of her late husband, Jonathan Grassbaugh. Jonathan, an Army Armor Officer serving with the 82nd Airborne Division, was killed in Zaganiyah, Iraq on April 7, 2007 by a roadside bomb while on his second deployment to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Jenna, widowed at 22 years old after only being married for 10 months, chose to honor Jonathan’s personal motto, “non sibi” meaning “not for oneself,” by donating $250,000 of his life insurance funds to start GVP. It is now the project’s goal to match those funds to provide more pro bono service to veterans, current service members, and their families.
4. Veterans Day Movie Showing on November 10th at 12:10 in Saxbe Auditorium.
5. Veterans Day Bar Review date TBD.
6. Serial Part II Panel: SGT Bowe Bergdahl date TBD.
7. Donation Collection for Troops Overseas date TBD.
8. Lunch with MLSA members date TBD.
9. Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals Oral Arguments date TBD.
10. Other Fundraisers and Community Service Events.