Sidebar        Asim Z. Haque ‘06 named PUCO chairman

Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s office announced on Monday that the governor has selected Asim Z. Haque ’06 as the next chairman of the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. His term will start on May 20 when he succeeds fellow alumnus Andre Porter ‘05.

Haque has served on the commission since 2013, when he was first appointed by the governor to complete three years of an unexpired term. He was recently reappointed to a full five-year term on the commission, where he serves as vice-chairman.

“Throughout his three years of service on the PUCO, Commissioner Haque has demonstrated an exceptional command of the issues and challenges facing Ohio’s energy markets. No one is better prepared to apply that level of expertise and independent judgment to the role of chairman,” Kasich said in a statement.

“I am honored by the governor’s confidence in my ability to lead the commission, and I look forward to working with my fellow commissioners and the talented PUCO staff to foster energy policies that further strengthen Ohio’s job growth with affordable, reliable power,” said Haque of the appointment.