Spring Hooding Schedule
Friday, May 9, 2014
10:00 a.m.| Honors Convocation | Mershon Auditorium, 1871 N. High St.
2:00 p.m. | Hooding Ceremony | Mershon Auditorium, 1871 N. High St.
1. Arrive at the Mershon Auditorium if you are participating in the Honors Convocation no later than 9:45 a.m. Guest seating is first-come, first-served. The convocation will begin at 10:00 a.m. and will conclude at approximately 11:15 a.m.
2. Hooding guests may arrive at the Mershon Auditorium beginning at 1:00 p.m. Assisted listening devices for the hearing impaired are available. Ushers will direct guests. During the ceremony, please advise your guests to move to the front of the auditorium to take your picture as you walk across the stage and then return to their seat to make room for those who wish to photograph other graduates. Only battery-powered video recorders are allowed. See Item #6 for information about professional photographers.
3. Assemble promptly in full academic dress at 1:15 p.m. in the balcony of the Mershon Auditorium. Mershon Auditorium has no place to secure personal items (purses, umbrellas, etc.), so please leave them with family members or friends. Please note that alcoholic beverage prohibitions will be strictly enforced.
4. The processional will begin promptly at 2:00 p.m. The ceremony will last approximately two hours. The dean will lead the processional followed by the SBA president, ceremony speakers, faculty, and then graduates. The platform group will proceed to the stage and the Sergeant-at-Arms will direct students to their seats.
5. The program will begin once all are seated. Graduates will come to the stage using the stairs to the left (facing the stage) and will exit by the stairs on the right for return to seats.
6. Investment of Hoods will follow. When the graduates are called for the investment of the hoods, the first row of graduates, upon direction from the Sergeant-at-Arms, will rise and proceed to the left stairs (facing the stage). After going onto the stage, remain in line. Please keep your name card at your side until the person ahead of you has her/his name announced. As that person proceeds across the stage, move forward and hand your card to the person announcing names. There is time at this point to quietly state the pronunciation of your name.
When your name is called, proceed across the stage to where the outstanding professor is standing. At that point, please turn and face the audience so that the hood can be placed over your head. If you are tall, it would be helpful for you to remove your cap.
Proceed to the diploma case table. Dean Michaels will present you with a diploma case. Note that actual diplomas may be picked up at the Registrar’s Office in the Moritz College at the After the Bar Party at the College or mailed using the address you have provided on your Hooding Form. A photographer will take your photograph as you receive your diploma case.
Do not feel rushed as you walk across the stage. The person reading the names will establish a comfortable pace.
Exit the stage using the right stairs (facing the stage) and return to your original row. Be seated as soon as you return so as not to obstruct the view of those seated behind you. After all graduates are hooded, the class will be asked to stand for applause.
Assistant Dean Monte Smith will communicate individually with any students who use a wheelchair or cannot climb stairs. Make sure to report your special accommodation needs on the Hooding Form to arrange for your full participation in the ceremony.
7. Following Dean Michaels’ closing remarks, the recessional will begin.
8. Recessional. Hooding speakers (platform group) will exit using the left stairs (facing the stage) and will exit. The faculty will follow the platform group. Then, beginning with row “A,” graduates will rise one row at a time and follow. To avoid congestion, move away from the exits as rapidly as possible. The audience will remain seated until after the recessional.