News & Events
Moritz College of Law Celebrates Its New Name
Festivities to begin at 4 p.m. on October 26
October 5, 2001
Michael E. Moritz
The celebration of the naming of the Michael E. Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University will be Friday, October 26. It was rescheduled from September 14 following the September 11 terrorist attacks on the U.S.
The event will formally thank Michael E. Moritz, of Dublin, Ohio, who gave the largest single gift ever made to Ohio State and the law school. In July, he donated $30 million to provide law student scholarships, enhance the college's support for faculty programs, and support efforts to become one of the nation's top 10 public law schools.
The festivities begin at 4 p.m. with a special ceremony in the auditorium of John Deaver Drinko Hall, 55 West 12th Avenue. A reception will follow. Those wishing to attend should call 614-688-8232 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The gift created the Michael E. Moritz Merit Scholars Program, which ultimately will provide full in-state tuition and funds for additional expenses to 30 Ohio State law students and finance leadership awards to three students each year. It also established four endowed faculty chairs:
- The Gregory H. Williams Chair in Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, named in recognition of Moritz's high regard for Williams.
- The Michael E. Moritz Chair in Alternative Dispute Resolution and now held by current law dean, Nancy H. Rogers.
- The Frank R. Strong Chair in Law. Strong, of Prairie Village, Kan., was dean of the college from 1952 to 1965.
- The Robert J. Lynn Chair in Law. Lynn, of Columbus, earned his J.D. degree from Ohio State in 1949 and was a faculty member at the college from 1951 to 1989.
In addition, the gift created the Gregory H. Williams Dean's Fund for Excellence, also named for Williams. The annual interest income from this endowed fund will enable the college to capitalize upon emerging new trends, opportunities, and priorities.
Moritz is a partner in the Columbus law firm Baker & Hostetler and a former director of Cardinal Health Inc. He also is a dual Ohio State graduate: B.S., business administration, 1958; and J.D.
Moritz has distinguished himself through his success in the legal profession, his work in the business community, and his service in civic circles. After graduating at the top of his law class, he received the second highest score on the Ohio Bar Exam in 1961. He has been a partner at Baker & Hostetler since 1980, when it merged with his firm, Moritz, McClure, Hughes, & Kerscher. In addition to Cardinal Health, he has been a director for Pharmacy Systems, Inc. and the Pickett Hotel Company. He has served as president of the Capital City Young Republicans Club, trustee of the Kenyon Festival Theatre, and commissioner of the Ohio Elections Commission. At Ohio State, he has served as a director of The Ohio State University Foundation since 1990 and on the Max M. Fisher College of Business Campaign Committee since 1994.