Deborah Jones Merritt
Articles, Essays, and Book Reviews
Formative Assessments: A Law School Case Study (with Ruth Colker, Ellen E. Deason, Monte Smith, & Abigail B. Shoben), (2017).
- Cognition and Justice: New Ways to Think Like a Lawyer, 69 Ark. L. Rev. 47 (2016).
- Hippocrates and Socrates: Professional Obligations to Educate the Next Generation, 51 Wake Forest L. Rev. 403 (2016).
- What Happened to the Class of 2010? Empirical Evidence of Structural Change in the Legal Profession [forthcoming in Mich St. L. Rev.], 2015 Mich.St. L. Rev. 1043 (2015).
- The Job Gap, the Money Gap, and the Responsibility of Legal Educators, 41 Wash. U. J.L. & Pol'y 1 (2013).
- Unleashing Market Forces in Legal Education and the Legal Profession (with Daniel Merritt), 26 Geo. J. Legal Ethics 367 (2013).
- Social Media, The Sixth Amendment, and Restyling: Recent Developments in the Federal Law of Evidence, 28 Touro L.Rev. 1 (2012).
- Symposium, The Restyled Federal Rules of Evidence, 53 Wm & Mary L. Rev. 1435 (2012).
- Piercing the Brilliant Veil: Two Stories of American Racism, 85 Indiana L.J. 1255 (2010).
- Tribute to Retired Chief Justice Ruth V. McGregor, 42 Ariz. St. L. J. 375 (2010).
- Pedagogy, Progress and Portfolios, 25 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 7 (2009).
- Bias, the Brain, and Student Evaluations of Teaching, 82 St. John's L. Rev. 235 (2008).
- Legal Education in the Age of Cognitive Science and Advanced Classroom Technology, 14 B.U.J. SCI. & TECH L. 39 (2008).
- The Future of Religious Pluralism: Justice O'Connor and the Establishment Clause (with Daniel C. Merritt), 39 Ariz. St. L.J. 895 (2007).
Justice Sandra Day O'Connor: The Framers' "First Woman", 31 J. Sup. Ct. Hist. 107 (2006).
Links: Find a Print Copy
- Brown’s Legacy: The Promises and Pitfalls of Judicial Relief, 56 NEGRO EDUC. REV. 51 (2005).
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Jurisprudence of Opportunity and Equality (with David M. Lieberman), 104 COLUM. L. REV. 39 (2004).
- New Directions for Women in the Legal Academy (with Barbara F. Reskin), 53 J. LEGAL EDUC. 489 (2003).
The Influence of Appellate Judges’ Social Backgrounds When Reviewing NLRB Decisions (with James J. Brudney) , EMP. RTS. Q., Spring 2002, at 13 (2002).
Links: Business Source Complete
- Constructing Identity in Law and Social Science, 11 J. CONTEMP. LEGAL ISSUES 731 (2001).
- Raising the Bar: A Social Science Critique of Recent Increases to Passing Scores on the Bar Exam (with Lowell Hargens and Barbara F. Reskin), 69 U. CIN. L. REV. 929 (2001).
Raising the Bar: Limiting Entry to the Legal Profession, THE BAR EXAMINER, November 2001, at 9 (2001).
Links: Find a Print Copy
- Stalking Secret Law: What Predicts Publication in the United States Courts of Appeals (with James J. Brudney), 54 VAND. L. REV. 69 (2001).
- Are Women Stuck on the Academic Ladder? An Empirical Perspective, 10 UCLA WOMEN’S L.J. 241 (2000).
- Scholarly Influence in a Diverse Legal Academy: Race, Sex, and Citation Counts, 29 J. LEGAL STUD. 345 (2000).
- Affirmative Action: An International Human Rights Dialogue (with Justice Ruth Bader Sinsberg), 54 REC. OF ASS’N OF B. OF CITY OF N.Y. 278, reprinted in RUTGERS RACE & L. REV. (Spring 1999), reprinted in the CARDOZO L. REV. (October 1999), excerpted in BROOKINGS REV. (Winter 2000), translated into Bulgarian and published in HUM. RTS. 2001 (1999).
- Calling Professor AAA: How to Visit at the School of Your Choice, 49 J. LEGAL EDUC. 557 (1999).
- Constitutional Fact and Theory: A Reply to Chief Judge Posner, 97 MICH. L. REV. 1287 (1999).
- Is the Tort System in Crisis? New Empirical Evidence (with Kathryn Ann Barry), 60 OHIO ST. L.J. 315 (1999).
- Judicial Hostility Toward Labor Unions? Applying the Social Background Model to a Celebrated Concern (with James J. Brudney and Sara Schiavoni), 60 OHIO ST. L.J. 1675 (1999).
- Hearing the Voices of Individual Women and Men: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 20 U. HAW. L. REV. 635 (1998).
- Research and Teaching on Law Faculties: An Empirical Exploration, 73 CHI.-KENT L. REV. 765 (1998).
- The Future of Bakke: Will Social Science Matter? , 59 OHIO ST. L. J. 1055 (1998).
- The Third Translation of the Commerce Clause: Congressional Power to Regulate Social Problems, 66 GEO. WASH. L. REV. 1206 (1998).
- New Course Offerings in the Upperlevel Curriculum: Report of an American Association of Law Schools Survey (with Jennifer Cihon), 47 J. LEGAL EDUC. 524 (1997).
- Sex, Race, and Credentials: The Truth About Affirmative Action in Law Faculty Hiring ( with Barbara F. Reskin), 97 COLUM. L. REV. 199 (1997).
- Ending Poverty by Cutting Teenaged Births: Promise, Failure, and Paths to the Future, 57 OHIO ST. L.J. 441 (1996).
- Judges and Scholars: Do Courts and Scholarly Journals Cite the Same Law Review Articles? (with Melanie Putnam), 71 CHI.-KENT L. REV. 871 (1996).
- The Fuzzy Logic of Federalism, 46 CASE W. RES. L. REV. 685 (1996).
- Commerce!, 94 MICH. L. REV. 674 (1995).
- Federalism as Empowerment, 47 FLA. L. REV. 541 (1995).
- The Status of Women on Law School Faculties: Recent Trends in Hiring, 1995 U. ILL. L. REV. 93 (1995).
- Republican Governments and Autonomous States: A New Role for the Guarantee Clause, 65 U. COLO. L. REV. 815 (1994).
- Three Faces of Federalism: Finding A Formula for the Future, 47 VAND. L. REV. 1563 (1994).
- Who Teaches Constitutional Law?, 11 CONST. COMMENT. 145 (1994).
- Family, Place, and Career: The Gender Paradox in Law School Hiring (with Barbara F. Reskin), 1993 WIS. L. REV. 395 (1993).
- The Double Minority: Empirical Evidence of a Double Standard in Law School Hiring of Minority Women (with Barbara F. Reskin), 65 S. CAL. L. REV. 2299 (1992).
- Hypatia in the Patent Office: Women Inventors and the Law, 1865-1900, 35 AM. J. LEGAL HIST. 235 (1991), reprinted in WOMEN IN BUSINESS (Mary A. Yeager ed., 1996). (1991).
- What's Missing from the Bill of Rights?, 1991 U. ILL. L. REV. 765 (1991).
- The Constitution in a Brave New World: A Century of Technological Change and Constitutional Law, 69 OR. L. REV. 1 (1990).
- The Guarantee Clause and State Autonomy: Federalism for a Third Century, 88 COLUM. L. REV. 1 (1988).
- Communicable Disease and Constitutional Law: Controlling AIDS, 61 N.Y.U. L. REV. 739 (1986).
- The Constitutional Balance Between Health and Liberty, 16 HASTINGS CENTER REP. 2 (1986).
- Federal Review of the Evidence Supporting State Convictions: Jackson v. Virginia, 79 COLUM. L. REV. 1577 (1979).
Learning evidence : From the federal rules to the courtroom (2nd edition)), ( 2011).
Links: Find a Print Copy
- Tearcher's Manual accompaning Learning Evidence: From Federal Rules to the Courtroom (2nd edition) ( with Ric Simmons), ( 2011).
Learning Evidence: From the Federal Rules to the Courtroom (with Ric Simmons), ( 2009).
Links: Find a Print Copy
- Teacher's Manual accompanying Learning Evidence: from the Federal Rules to the Courtroom (with Ric Simmons), ( 2009).
Brief of Court-Appointed Amicus Curiae in Support of the Judgment Below, No.08-103, Reed Elsevier v. Muchnick (U.S. Supreme Court), (2009).
Links: American Bar Association
Amicus Brief on Behalf of the American Sociological Association, Law and Society Association, and Other Social Science Organizations, Submitted in Support of the University of Michigan in Grutter v. Michigan (with Bill Lann Lee and Barbara Reskin) (U.S. Supreme Court), (2003).
Links: University of Michigan