Articles, Essays, and Book Reviews
- FDA Required Tobacco Product Inserts & Onserts- and the First Amendment (with Eric N. Lindblom & James T. Thrasher), 72 Food & Drug L.J. 1 (2017).
- Medicaid Expansion and ACA Repeal: Evidence from Ohio (with Eric E. Seiber), Am. J. Pub. Health (ahead of print) (2017).
- Clarifying Standards for Compelled Commercial Speech, 50 Wash. U. J. L. & Pol'y 53 (2016).
- Combining Accreditation and Education: An Interdisciplinary Public Health Course, 44 J.L. Med. & Ethics S18 (2016).
Defining Tobacco Regulatory Science Competencies (with K. Hanson et al.), Nicotine & Tobacco Res. (2016).
Links: Nicotine & Tobacco Research
E-Cigarettes, Youth, and the US Food and Drug Administration's "Deeming" Regulation (with Tony Yang), 170 JAMA Pediatrics 1039 (2016).
Links: JAMA Pediatrics
Emotion in the Law and the Lab: the Case of Graphic Cigarette Warnings (with Elizabeth Peters, AbigailT.Evans, & Natalie Hemmerich), 2 Tobacco Reg. Sci. 404 (2016).
- FDA's misplaced priorities: premarket review under the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (with Desmond Jenson & Joelle Lester), 25 Tobacco Control 246 (2016).
Online E-cigarette Marketing Claims: a Systematic Content and Legal Analysis (with Elizabeth G.Klein, Natalie Hemmerich, Cristen Carlson, Susandi Htut & Michael Slater), 2 Tobacco Reg. Sci. 252 (2016).
Regulatory Insight of ENDS product defects, Tobacco Control (Apr. 25) (2016).
Links: BMJ Journals
- The Impact of Tobacco-free Pharmacy Policies on Smoking Prevalence (with Yue Jin, Elizabeth G. Klein, Randi E. Foraker, & Amy Kerketich), 56 J. Am. Pharmacists Ass'n 627 (2016).
The Legal Framework for Using Tobacco Product Inserts and Onserts to Help Consumers Make More Informed Choices and to Reduce Tobacco Use Harms (with Eric N. Lindblom & James T. Thrasher), (2016).
Bridging the Gap Between Science and Law: The Example of Tobacco Regulatory Science (book review with Annice E. Kim), 43 J.L. Med. & Ethics S95 (2015).
- Manipulative Marketing and the First Amendment, 103 Geo. L.J. 497 (2015).
Estimating the Cost of a Smoking Employee (with Rob Crane et al.), 23 Tobacco Control 428 (2014).
Links: Tobacco Control
- Lethal But Legal: Corporations, Consumption, and Protecting Public Health (book review), 35 J. Legal Med. 601 (2014).
Local Smoke-Free Policy Experiences in Appalachian Communities (with Elizabeth G. Klein et al.), 39 J. Community Health 11 (2014).
Links: OhioLINK EJC
- Pursuing Global Health with Justice: Review of Global Health Law, 1 J. L. & Biosciences 348 (2014).
Tobacco Control Policies in Outdoor Areas of High Volume American Transit Systems (with Elizabeth G. Klein & Ryan David Kennedy), 39 J. Community Health 660 (2014).
Links: OhioLINK EJC
- Commercial Speech Law and Tobacco Marketing: A Comparative Discussion of the United States and Canada, 39 Am. J. L. & Med. 218 (2013).
- Defining the Field of Public Health Law, 15 DePaul J. Health Care L. 45 (2013).
- Who's Your Nanny?: Choice, Paternalism and Public Health in the Age of Personal Responsibility (with Lindsay F. Wiley and Doug Blanke), 41 J.L. Med. & Ethics S88 (2013).
- Foreword: Improving Patient Safety and Providing Fair Compensation, 46 New Eng. L. Rev. 409 (2012).
- From Fenway Park to the Mall of America: A Multi-Collaborative Approach to Teaching and Learning (with Michael Freiberg & Julie Ralston Aoki), 38 U. Dayton L. Rev. 157 (2012).
- A Public Health Perspective on Health Care Reform, 21 Health Matrix 353 (2011).
- From Health Care Reform to Public Health Reform, 39 J.L. Med. & Ethics 328 (2011).
- Clean Indoor Air Ordinance Coverage in the Appalachian Region of the United States (with Amy K. Ferketich et al.), 100 Am. J. Pub. Health 1313 (2010).
- Smoking out the Impact of Tobacco-Related Decisions on Public Health Law, 75 Brook. L. Rev. 1 (2009).
- Mandating a Tobacco-Free Workforce: A Convergence of Business and Public Health Interests (with Rob Crane), 34 Wm. Mitchell L. Rev. 1651 (2008).
- Tobacco Litigation without the Smoke - Cigarette Companies in the Smokeless Tobacco Industry, 11 J. Health Care L. & Pol'y 7 (2008).
- Secondhand Smoke and Casinos (with Caris Post), Tobacco Control Legal Consortium (2007).
- The Quality Health Care Coalition Act: Can Antitrust Law Improve Patient Care, Note, 53 Stan. L. Rev. 695 (2000).
The Commercial Speech Doctrine in the United States: False Promise and Promising Approaches for Protecting Public Health, Tobacco Advertising: The Front and Back Side of Free Commercial Speech (in Portuguese and English) (2014).