Last Updated: December 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM
United States v. North Carolina
Date Filed: September 30, 2013
State: North Carolina
Issues: Early Voting, Voting Rights Act, Voter ID
Current Court: Middle District of North Carolina (Case 13-CV-00861)
Issue 1: Does House Bill 589 deny or abridge the right to vote on account of race, color, or membership in a language minority in violation of Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act 42 U.S.C. §1793?
Issue 2: Was House Bill 589 enacted and enforced with the purpose of denying or abridging the right to vote on account of race, color, or membership in a language minority in violation of Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act 42 U.S.C. §1793, the Fourteenth Amendment, and Fifteenth Amendment?
Complaint filed 9/30/13. U.S.'s motion to consolidate cases filed 11/27/13. Defendant's answer filed 12/2/13.
District Court Documents
- Complaint (filed 9/30/13)
- Motion for Extension of Time (filed 10/3/13)
- Response to North Carolina's Motion for Extension (filed 10/8/13)
- Order Extending Time to Answer (filed 10/9/13)
- U.S.'s Motion to Consolidate Cases (filed 11/27/13)
- Defendants' Answer (filed 12/2/13)
- Plaintiffs' Memorandum Opposing U.S.'s Motion to Consolidate (filed 12/3/13)
- Plaintiffs' Motion to Consolidate Cases (filed 12/3/13)
- U.S.'s Rule 26(f) Report (filed 12/5/13)
- U.S.'s Report of Rule 26(f) Conference and Discovery Plan (filed 12/5/13)
- Defendants' Rule 26(f) Report (filed 12/5/13)