Last Updated: February 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Citizen Center v. Gessler
Date Filed: February 13, 2012
Issues: Improper Election Administration, Voting Technology
Courts that Heard this Case: U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado (Case 1:12-cv-00370)
Whether Mesa County, Colorado's election procedures infringe on the rights to vote, political expression, and speech.
complaint filed 2/13/12.
District Court Documents
- Complaint (filed 2/13/12)
In the News
Professor Donald Tobin was quoted in a Lancaster Eagle Gazette article about the need to clear up certain rules in the Internal Revenue Service in order to more accurately determine if groups can be classified as social welfare groups. He said that while most groups are easily classified into the 501(c)(4) tax-exempt category, changes throughout the years have created some more difficult decisions for the IRS. He said when groups want to engage in political activity near an election, things get tricky.
In the article, Tobin said experts have been calling for improvements to the 501(c)(4) rules for a decade because there has been abuse by entities filing for the exemption. In addition, he said the IRS has shown it has been reluctant to enforce the rules and incompetent when it tried to do so.
“We need to figure out a way to fix it so people’s faith in non-partisan enforcement in our tax laws is restored while there’s a means of assuring that those provisions are not being abused,” he said.
Info & Analysis
Supreme Court: NVRA Pre-empts Arizona's Proof of Citizenship Law
In a 7-2 decision, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled today that the NVRA preempts an Arizona law requiring documentation of citizenship to accompany voter registration forms. The case is Arizona v. The Inter Tribal Council of Arizona, Inc.
- Applewhite v. Pennsylvania
- Arcia v. Detzner
- Arizona v. The Inter Tribal Council of Arizona, Inc.
- Banfield v. Aichele
- Brown v. Detzner
- Bryanton v. Johnson
- Citizen Center v. Gessler
- CREW v. IRS
- Davis v. Perry
- Fair Elections Ohio, Brunner v. Husted
- Fair Elections Ohio, The Amos Project, et al v. Husted
- Favors v. Cuomo
- Frank v. Walker
- Gill v. IRS
- Gusciora v. Christie
- Jones v. Deininger
- Judicial Watch, Inc. v. Husted
- League of Women Voters of Wisconsin v. Walker
- LULAC v. Harris County
- McCutcheon v. FEC
- Mi Familia Vota Education Fund v. Detzner
- Milwaukee Branch of the NAACP v. Walker
- NEOCH v. Husted
- Obama for America v. Husted
- Perez v. Texas
- Scott v. Schedler
- SEIU v. Husted
- Shelby County, Alabama v. Holder
- South Carolina v. United States
- Texas v. Holder
- Texas v. United States
- Townley v. Miller
- True the Vote, Inc. v. IRS
- Voting for America v. Skeen
- Wagner v. Federal Election Commission