Legislation Clinic 2004 Conference
Medicaid, Medicines, and Malpractice: Issues in State Health Care
April 22, 2004
Ohio Statehouse and Vern Riffe Center
Conference Home | Schedule | Pictures | Brochure
Schedule of Events
||Welcome: Nancy Hardin Rogers, Dean, Moritz College of Law
Panel 1: The Medicaid Cost Crisis
- How has the rise of "Medicaid managed care" changed the landscape of the publicly financed medical insurance system?
- What are the budgetary consequences for states of increased participation of the elderly and the disabled in state Medicaid programs?
- How do federal initiatives affect states' ability to structure effective and cost-efficient Medicaid programs?
- Barbara Coulter Edwards, Deputy Director, Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, Ohio Health Plans
- Siran M. Koroukian, Assistant Professor, Division of Health Services Research, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Sara Rosenbaum, Harold and Jane Hirsh Professor of Health Law and Policy and Chair of the Department of Health Policy at the George Washington University Medical Center, School of Public Health and Health Services
- Moderator: D. Craig Ramsay, Professor and Chair, Department of Politics and Government, Ohio Wesleyan University
||Lunch in the Statehouse Atrium
Keynote Address: John C. Nelson, M.D., M.P.H., President-Elect of the American Medical Association
Introduction: Andrew Thomas, M.D., Assistant Medical Director, OSU Hospital
Panel 2: Keeping Medicines Afforable
- What factors, such as direct-to-consumer advertising and the risk of tort litigation against drug companies, cause high prescription drug prices in the United States?
- What sorts of prescription drug financing schemes can states adopt to curb the ever-rising costs of prescription medicines?
- Should states promote their citizens' purchasing prescription drugs from other countries to avoid the higher costs of buying them in the United States?
- Jenny Camper, Ohio Spokesperson for Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America
- Cathy Gibson, R.Ph, Pharmacy Program Manager, Anthem Prescription Management
- The Honorable John Hagan, Ohio House of Representatives
- Timothy Stoltzfus Jost, Robert L. Willett Family Professor of Law, Washington and Lee University College of Law
- Moderator: Jerry Friedman, Advisor for Health Policy and Director of Governmental Relations, Office of Health Sciences, The Ohio State University Health Sciences Center Sciences Center
Panel 3: Malpractice Reform and Quality of Care Issues
- What are the causes of the medical malpractice insurance crisis?
- Do statutory caps on jury awards for non-economic damages bring down the cost of malpractice insurance?
- How does the high cost of malpractice insurance affect physicians' ability to practice medicine?
- How does state regulation of managed care affect cost and quality of care?
- How does federal preemption affect states' ability to regulate health plans?
- The Honorable Ann Womer Benjamin, Director, Ohio Department of Insurance, and Former Member, Ohio House of Representatives
- Peter Hammer, Associate Professor of Law, Wayne State University Law School
- Richard J. Snow, D.O., M.P.H., CEO of Applied Health Services, Inc.
- Moderator: Marc Spindelman, Assistant Professor of Law, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law
||Closing Remarks: Steven Huefner, Assistant Professor and Director, Legislation Clinic, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law