- Travel Reimbursement
- Start Your Job Search
- Useful Job/Resource Links
- Temporary Agencies
- Short-Term Assistance Registry (STAR)
- Out-of-State Job Search
- Opportunity Forum
- On-Campus Interviews
- Off-Campus Job Fairs
- NLSC Symplicity
- 3L Timeline
- 2L Timeline
- 1L Timeline
- Judicial Clerkships
- Types of Clerkships
- Travel Reimbursement Fund
- Clerkships Served by Moritz Faculty & Staff
- Application Information
- Application Deadlines
- Application Checklist
- Exploring Career Options
- Researching Potential Employers
- Legal Career Options
- Informational Interviews
- Assess Your Strengths and Interests
- A Word About Grades
- Career Services Bulletin
- Application & Interview Preparation
- Employment Statistics
Sample Informational Interviewing Questions
Below are sample questions to ask during an informational interview, organized by what you might want to learn.
- If you were to write a job description, what would you list under job duties?
- Can you briefly describe your current projects?
- What were the most interesting projects you worked on during the past year?
- What is a typical workday like for you?
- What skills are most important for success in this position (research, analysis, negotiation, writing, etc.)?
- Are there particular courses I should take in order to gain the skills needed for this practice?
- What personality traits are most important for success in this position (tenacity, initiative, communication, etc.)?
- What personal factors differentiate the good from the exceptional performers in this field?
- Why did you choose your area of practice?
- What positions did you hold between law school and this position and how typical or atypical was your career path?
- What experiences outside of law school best prepared you for this position?
- It seems that every organization has its own personality. How would you characterize yours?
- What do you enjoy most about your work? Least?
- What changes have you seen take place in your practice over the past few years?
- How do you see this position/field changing during the next few years?
- Where do you see the greatest growth in your organization during the next few years?
- What professional associations would you recommend that I join?
- Based on our conversation, are there others you would recommend I interview, and if so, may I use your name when I contact them?
- May I stay in touch with you periodically to bring you up to date on my job search?
- After I revise my resume, may I send you a copy?