Election reform, the Voting Rights Act, the Help America Vote Act, and related topics -- with special attention to the voting rights of people of color, non-English proficient citizens, and people with disabilities
Dan Tokaji's Blog
- Election Law Blog (Rick Hasen)
- Election Updates (Michael Alvarez & Thad Hall)
- Votelaw Blog (Ed Still)
- Leave it to the Lower Courts: On Judicial Intervention in Election Administration, 68 Ohio State Law Journal 1065 (2007)
- The New Vote Denial: Where Election Reform Meets the Voting Rights Act, 57 South Carolina Law Review 689 (2006)
- Early Returns on Election Reform: Discretion, Disenfranchisement, and the Help America Vote Act, 73 George Washington Law Review 1206 (2005)
Tuesday, July 19
Will Bush Pick Clement?
Judge Edith Brown Clement
The blogosphere has been abuzz with rumors that Judge Clement (not to be confused with the Red Sox All-Star pitcher) will be nominated to replace retiring Associate Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. CNN reports that the announcement will be made at 9:00 this evening, but that three "informed sources" say that Judge Clement won't be the nominee. See here for my thoughts from a couple weeks ago. My prediction was that President Bush would go for an archconservative, rather than someone like Judge Clement who's conservative but a bit more of an unknown ... but who knows. Stay tuned.