Moritz Announces Leadership Initiative: Serious Scholarships for Serious Leaders
|2006-2007 Moritz Student Bar Association Board Members|
Moritz' new leadership scholarship initiative is designed to recruit students who are serious about developing their leadership potential. In exchange, the College will offer each recipient the opportunity to work with an advisor to develop an individualized leadership plan based on their distinctive strengths and goals.
Building on the existing strengths of the Moritz College of Law, Leadership Scholars will be able to choose from a range of opportunities to create a customized leadership portfolio. Leadership Scholars may:
- Learn leadership styles and strategies in the "Lawyers as Leaders" course
- Develop management skills through selecting leadership training programs from among 110 graduate and professional fields of study at The Ohio State University
- Cultivate consensus-building skills through Moritz Law's nationally-ranked alternative dispute resolution courses, clinics, competitions, and certificate program
- Earn academic credit while working with lawyers and policy makers at the highest levels of government in the Moritz Law Washington D.C. Summer Program
- Study for a semester or summer at Oxford University in a Moritz international program rich with academic and cultural experiences that provide insight into international and comparative law, conflicts, and the challenges of leadership in a global community.
- Gain insight into judicial decision making as a student judicial extern or a post-graduate judicial clerk. Students will be guided every step of the way by a faculty, half of whom have served as federal judicial clerks, including six with the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Participate in the deliberative and strategic processes of state government and work with elected and appointed officials through the Moritz Law Legislation Clinic
- Learn by example from attorneys whose careers reflect the highest ideals of the profession in the Mentoring and More @ Moritz Program
"We believe the confluence of high achieving student potential and Moritz resources is an ideal environment for the cultivation of serious leaders," says Dean Rogers. "That belief is grounded in the success of our graduates who have distinguished themselves as leaders in a variety of professional and community settings."