Visiting Research Scholars Program
To apply for our Visiting Research Scholar Program, please send the following application documents in one package to:
Assistant Dean, International and Graduate Programs
Moritz College of Law
The Ohio State University
55 W. 12th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
- Letter including the approximate dates of your arrival and departure;
- CV/Resume which describes your professional accomplishments, educational background, employment history, publications, and awards;
- Two- to three-page statement of your research project;
- Two letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your credentials;
- Description of your anticipated source of funding for your stay at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law; and
- A copy of your TOEFL score report (highly recommended, but not required).
The application deadline is April 1 for Fall Semester, and September 1 for Spring Semester. Since we have a limited number of available seats for Visiting Scholars, late applications are unlikely to be considered. To send application materials via email, or if you have additional questions about the process, please contact us at email@example.com. Please note that it usually takes several weeks for an admission decision.
- Visitors will be very welcome at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law. They are entitled to a BuckID card, which allows them to use the facilities of the Moritz College and the University.
- Each visiting research scholar will be given a private, secure carrel in the Moritz Law Library for use as his/her office.
- The Moritz College of Law maintains a computer lab for the exclusive use of its students and visitors. Located in the Moritz Law Library, the lab is equipped with over 40 computers containing Corel WordPerfect and Microsoft office suites, CALI programs, and access to Lexis, Westlaw, the Internet and email. The lab also has two high-capacity laser printers to which the computers are networked. Printing costs 5¢ per page and operates on a card-swipe system, using your BuckID card and debiting your BuckID account. In addition, the lab has laser printers you can use for free when printing from Lexis and Westlaw. The Library’s Computer Training Room, which houses another 15 workstations, is available when not being used for training.
- All of Drinko Hall, where the Moritz College is housed, is covered by the OSU wireless network. Through wireless network, you will have access to the Internet, email, Westlaw and Lexis. To use the network you will need a laptop computer equipped with an IEEE 802.11a/b/g compliant wireless network interface card. We will provide you with more information on the network, configuring and registering your laptop when you arrive at the Moritz College of Law.
- Visitors are required to purchase health insurance for themselves and their families. Details about this insurance will be sent with the DS-2019, once you are admitted.
- Visitors should not plan to work. They are expected to spend their time pursuing their research project and auditing classes.
- Visitors will be asked to submit a brief report before their departure date that includes information on the research topic, progress made on the topic during the visit, how the research will benefit the visiting scholar’s professional life (and sponsor, if applicable), and any administrative suggestions for the Assistant Dean.