Hometown: Phoenix , Ariz.
Title: Appellate Counsel
Company: Steptoe & Johnson LLP (Phoenix, Ariz.)
- What were you doing prior to entering the Moritz College of Law? On a four-year ROTC scholarship, earned an undergraduate degree in civil engineering from Notre Dame; then served four years in the Air Force as a construction engineer and then a executive officer at Altus Air Force Base, in Oklahoma, and Dhahran Air Base, Saudi Arabia
- What was your first job out of law school? Law Clerk to the Honorable T.G. Nelson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Boise, Idaho.
- I love working where I am because... It is a big city with plenty of outdoor activities, and the legal community is tight-knit and generally cordial.
- Ohio State Law was a great choice because... We truly have top-notch faculty -- that's what it is all about.
Hometown: Goodyear, Ariz.
Title: Senior Immigration Attorney
Company: Brelje and Associates LLC (Phoenix, Ariz.)
- What were you doing prior to entering the Moritz College of Law? Undergraduate student at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.
- What was your first job out of law school? Associate Attorney at Vorys, Sater, Seymour & Pease in Columbus.
- I love working where I am because... It is home to several multinational corporations requiring U.S. immigration and visa assistance and is located near my wife's family in Caborca, Sonora, Mexico. The climate is warm, and there are several cultural, athletic, and family activities in Arizona.
- Ohio State Law was a great choice because... An OSU law degree is well respected in all parts of the U.S. and throughout the world.
Hometown: Phoenix, Ariz.
- What were you doing prior to entering the Moritz College of Law? I was in Israel for a semester following my graduation from the University of Arizona in December 2005. I have a BS and a BA from the University of Arizona.
- I chose Ohio State because... It’s a good school with a national reputation; it has better access to eastern U.S. markets than Arizona schools; the ability to get in-state tuition after 1L.
- What do you enjoy about Columbus? There is little traffic, a low cost of living, and cold weather and rain (which I was deprived of growing up in the Phoenix area).
- What are your plans for after graduation? I plan to move to Chicago, Washington, or another large city.
Hometown: Heber, Ariz.
- What were you doing prior to entering the Moritz College of Law? I attended McNeese State University in Lake Charles, La., where I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in government.
- I chose Ohio State because... I chose Ohio State because of the quality of education that I knew I would receive. In addition, Ohio State offered me a great financial aid package. Married students are granted instant in-state tuition if their spouse is employed before each semester begins. In sum, the quality of education, reputation of the school, and the reasonable tuition led me to choose Ohio State.
- What do you enjoy about Columbus? I like the small town feel of Columbus. You can either live near corn fields or skyscrapers; whichever you choose, you are only 15 minutes away from the other. More importantly, the whole city – and state for that matter – loves the Buckeyes. I have never seen anything like it.
- What are your plans for after graduation? I plan to relocate to Phoenix, Las Vegas, or another city in the western United States in order to be closer to family. I plan to work as a transactional attorney with a medium-sized law firm.
Calvin J. Platten
Hometown: Batavia, NY, Ariz.
Company: Stoops Denious Wilson & Murray P.L.C. (Phoenix, Ariz.)
- I chose Ohio State because... of its national reputation and its outstanding faculty.
- What were you doing prior to entering the Moritz College of Law? Obtaining my bachelor's degree from Arizona State University.
- I love working where I am because... it is a great enviroment to learn and grow as an attorney, while still being able to enjoy the great city of Phoenix.
Hometown: Fountain Hills, Ariz.
Company: Slide-Lok Corporation (Tempe, Ariz.)
- What were you doing prior to entering the Moritz College of Law? Attending Ohio State University as an undergraduate
- What was your first job out of law school? Federal Government, Washington, D.C.
- I love working where I am because... The Sonoran Desert is a magical and beautiful place to live, work, and play, particularly if you love the outdoors.
- Ohio State Law was a great choice because... It is a good combination of being affordable, well-respected, and having a rigorous academic environment.