External Scholarships & Grants
There are a variety of scholarships and grants outside of the Moritz College of Law, including from the university, local bar associations, philanthropic organizations, etc. There also are a variety of books and free online scholarship search sites that might provide information about other sources of scholarship/grant aid. We generally discourage students from using scholarship search services that require a search fee.
Entering and continuing students who are awarded a grant(s) or scholarship(s) from outside of the Moritz College of Law and the university must inform the Office of Student Financial Aid about this financial assistance. Students may email email@example.com with the name of the award and the amount of the award.
The following is a select list of scholarships and grants given by organizations and entities that are not affiliated with the Moritz College of Law or The Ohio State University.
- Accident Survivor Law School Scholarship: As part of our commitment to helping those who were injured, Zehl & Associates is pleased to announce the creation of two new Scholarship offers: one is for law students currently enrolled or accepted to an accredited law school and the other will go to a student currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a private or state university. Amount: $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an applicant exclusively for law school tuition and related expenses. Candidates: For a law student attending (or accepted and planning to attend) an accredited law school and has either personally was the victim of or has a family member who was the victim of a major accident. Details & Application: http://www.zehllaw.com/ (click on Scholarship at bottom middle of page – footer) Scholarship offered by: Zehl & Associates PC. Deadline: May 30, 2015
- Akron Bar Foundation Scholarship sponsors yearly scholarships for law students from Summit County who demonstrate financial need.
- Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (AG Bell) offers the George H. Nofer Scholarship for Law and Public Policy. Three scholarships of $5,000 each are available each year for full-time graduate students with a moderately-severe to profound hearing loss who use listening and spoken language and who are attending an accredited law school or a masters or doctoral program in public policy or public administration at an accredited university or college. Visit the AG Bell website to learn more.
- Asian Heritage Scholarship: The scholarship is available to students of Asian heritage who are entering their first year of law school this fall. The scholarship if offered each fall semester and the scholarship information and application can be found on their website.
- The Baumgartner Law Firm offers a scholarship for current or incoming law students based on need and commitment to helping others. One student will receive a $3,000 scholarship. Applicants must be enrolled or accepted at an accredited Law School in the US, (persons who have applied to law school but have not yet been accepted may apply, however, the scholarship will only be awarded to someone enrolled in an accredited school at the time of scholarship selection). Applicants apply online and the application can be found at: https://baumgartnerlawyers.com/baumgartner-law-firm-scholarship-application The Baumgartner Law Firm is a leading personal injury law firm based in Houston, Texas. Deadline to apply: August 31, 2015.
- The Chambers Scholarship is open to one talented black student who has been accepted to The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law as a full-time Juris Doctorate candidate. The Scholarship is available to a diverse applicant who demonstrates strong academic performance, and has either: 1) an interest in constitutional, education, or civil rights litigation (trial or appellate) or 2) an aspiration to work in some capacity within the federal government (e.g.: federal judicial clerkship, Department of Justice, federal judge). The applicant must also matriculate with the Moritz College of Law in the Fall Semester of 2015 as a first-year student. Applicants are required to submit via email the application form, a resume, and a personal statement (1,000-word maximum). Three finalists, selected by the founder, must also complete a phone interview. The application deadline is June 15, 2015 at 11:59 PM (EST). The winner will be notified on August 1, 2015. This year’s Chambers Scholarship recipient will receive a one-time award of $500.00. Furthermore, the recipient is encouraged to take advantage of the mentorship offered by the Scholarship’s founder. Email Cheyenne.firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the application.
- Console & Hollawell Legal Leaders Scholarship is a $1,000 open to high school seniors, college students, and law students. Deadline: July 15, 2015.
- Cope Law Offices is pleased to announce the first annual Law School Student Loan Scholarship of $2,000. To be eligible recipients must be financing their entire law school education with student loans and scholarships, a U.S. citizen currently attending an accredited law school within the United States and academic achievement reflected by a minimum 3.3 GPA and have completed at least one semester of classes at an accredited law school. To submit an application, please fill out the contact us section and choose scholarship as the reason for contact.
- DUI Victim Scholarship: This scholarship will be awarded to a law student attending (or planning to attend) an accredited law school who either personally was the victim or has a family member who was the victim of an accident caused by a driver proven to be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. Amount: $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an applicant exclusively for law school tuition and related expenses. Candidates: Scholarship will be awarded to a first or second year law student, or entering law school in the Fall of 2015. Details & Application: http://www.phxinjurylaw.com/dui-victim-scholarship Scholarship offered by: Thompson Law Firm, LLC Deadline: May 30th, 2015
- The Hudson County Bar Foundation will award scholarships to students who are attending law school or who have been accepted to law school for the September 2015 – May 2016 term. The Hudson County Bar Foundation Scholarship Fund is one of the oldest providers of financial assistance to Hudson County law students. Esteemed members and families of the Hudson County legal community have funded these 44 scholarships. Students must be bona fide residents of Hudson County; must demonstrate financial need; must provide two (2) current Letters of Recommendation and must account for appropriate academic standards. Interested applicants can write to the Hudson County Bar Foundation Scholarship Committee, 583 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, New Jersey 07306 or call (201) 798-4708, send an e-mail to email@example.com, or go to our web site www.hcbalaw.com for an application.
- Juvenile Justice Law School Scholarship. We are committed to juvenile justice and want to encourage young people to pursue a career in law and hopefully make a difference to someone in their careers. We have discovered that nothing matters more in the early life of a youth charged with a crime than lawyers, legal professionals, and judges who are committed to defending the rights of the youth. $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an applicant exclusively for law school tuition and related expenses. For any law student attending (or accepted and planning to attend) an accredited law school. 3.5+ GPA . Details & Application: http://www.criminallawdenver.com (scroll down to bottom of page for scholarship information link) Scholarship offered by: Tiftickjian Law Firm, P.C. Deadline: July 31, 2015
- Krugliak, Wilkins, Griffiths & Dougherty Co., L.P.A., is accepting applications now through June 5, 2015, for its “Samuel Krugliak Legal Scholarship” which will award up to $1,000 to one or more students currently enrolled and attending law school, accredited by the American Bar Association. The purpose of the Samuel Krugliak scholarship is to assist law students who exemplify the Firm’s ethic and who intend to practice law in the communities served by Krugliak, Wilkins, Griffiths & Dougherty Co., L.P.A. Students may apply for the 2015-2016 academic year scholarship provided they have resided in one of the following counties during their lifetime: Stark, Wayne, Tuscarawas, Carroll, Summit, Holmes, Mahoning or Columbiana. Candidates must also possess strong academic credentials, participate in extracurricular activities, and have a desire to return to the region to practice law. Applications can be downloaded from the Firm’s website at kwgd.com. Qualified candidates may submit an application online through the Firm’s website or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, SUBJECT: Legal Scholarship or by mail to the attention of Legal Scholarship/BJY.
- Ladah Law Firm Injury Scholarship is a $2,000 scholarship open to applicants nationwide who are currently attending law school. Application can be found here: http://www.ladahlaw.com/injury-scholarship Deadline: May 31, 2015
- Law Preview Scholarships Sponsored By Lexis Nexis: Law Preview (the nation’s largest law school prep course) has teamed up with Lexis Nexis, one of the world’s leading online research providers, to provide Law Preview Scholarships to select members of our entering class. Lexis Nexis has generously agreed to help entering students prepare for the unique challenges they will face during their 1L year at OSU Law by paying the cost of tuition for a law school prep course. Visit the following URL to see if you meet the scholarship criteria: http://lawpreview.barbri.com/scholarships/
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Awareness/Law School Scholarship: The Law Office of Renkin & associates is pleased to announce the creation of a Scholarship offer. It was established to provide financial support to a law student whose life has been impacted by Lymphoma or Leukemia and is seeking to continue their education through law school. $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an applicant exclusively for law school tuition and related expenses. For a law student attending (or accepted and planning to attend) an accredited law school and has been affected (or a family member) by or dealing with issues related to Lymphoma or Leukemia. 3.0+ GPA. Scholarship offered by The Law Office of Renkin & Associates. Details and application can be found at: http://www.renkinlaw.com (click on Scholarship at top of page) Deadline to apply: April 30, 2015
- Marine Appreciation – Law School Scholarship. With the cost of rising tuitions, the Open Tax Resolution Law Student scholarship has been started as a way to contribute to the families who have sacrificed so much in order to allow their loved ones to serve and protect our country through their military service. It was established to provide financial support to a law student whose life has been impacted by a family member serving in the Marine Corps and who is seeking to continue their education through law school. $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an applicant exclusively for law school tuition and related expenses. For any law student attending (or accepted and planning to attend) an accredited law school and is or has had a family member in the Marine Corps. 3.0+ GPA . Details Application: http://ChicagoTaxTeam.com (click on Scholarship at top of page). Scholarship offered by: ChicagoTaxTeam.com / The Law Office of Steven A. Leahy, PC. Deadline: June 30, 2015
- Michigan Auto Law Diversity Scholarship is open to students in their first or second year of law school. The recipient must be a member of an ethnic or racial minority or demonstrate a defined commitment to issues of diversity within their academic career. Deadline: May 1, 2015.
- “One Nation” College Scholarship for applicants that fulfill the following eligibility requirements: One or both parents of the recipient are immigrants, scholarship recipient is an immigrant, and recipient will be attending a higher education institution in the fall of 2015. http://www.suhrelaw.com/immigration/#scholarshipDeadline May 10th, 2015.
- Suhre & Asscoiates Law Firm Scholarship worth $500 from Suhre & Associates, a Columbus law firm. Application: http://suhrelawcolumbus.com/scholarship-application/ Deadline to apply: May 31, 2015
- Vision Zero Auto Awareness/Law School Scholarship. Vision Zero is a multi-pronged attack on the causes of traffic accidents. It uses improved road safety (design-focused measures), driver education, and increased enforcement of traffic laws. This combination has been shown to dramatically reduce the number of traffic fatalities, and Boston Attorney John Sheehan is trying to raise awareness of the potential by offering a scholarship to students willing to focus on the issue of traffic safety. $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an applicant exclusively for law school tuition and related expenses. Scholarship will be awarded to a first or second year law student, or entering law school in the Fall of 2015. 3.0+ GPA. Details & Application: http://www.attorneysheehan.com (click on Scholarship at top of page). Scholarship offered by Attorney John Sheehan. Deadline: July 31, 2015.
- Waechter Medical-Legal Scholarship is a $1,000 award open to all students. Applicants must submit a 150-word essay, which will be judged on creativity. Applications accepted annually from January 1 through September 1.
- Warren County Bar Association Scholarship is a $1,000 for Warren County residents. Applicants should submit a letter and resume to the bar association, indicating their background, law school plans, and any other pertinent information. Send to: Warren County Bar Association, 500 Justice Drive, Lebanon, OH 45036.