External Scholarships & Grants
There are a variety of scholarships and grants outside of the Moritz College of Law, including from the university, local bar associations, philanthropic organizations, etc. There also are a variety of books and free online scholarship search sites that might provide information about other sources of scholarship/grant aid. We generally discourage students from using scholarship search services that require a search fee.
Entering and continuing students who are awarded a grant(s) or scholarship(s) from outside of the Moritz College of Law and the university must inform the Office of Student Financial Aid about this financial assistance. Students may email firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the award and the amount of the award.
The following is a select list of scholarships and grants given by organizations and entities that are not affiliated with the Moritz College of Law or The Ohio State University.
- Akron Bar Foundation Scholarship sponsors yearly scholarships for law students from Summit County who demonstrate financial need.
- Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (AG Bell) offers the George H. Nofer Scholarship for Law and Public Policy. Three scholarships of $5,000 each are available each year for full-time graduate students with a moderately-severe to profound hearing loss who use listening and spoken language and who are attending an accredited law school or a masters or doctoral program in public policy or public administration at an accredited university or college. Visit the AG Bell website to learn more.
- American Bar Association Law Opportunity Scholarship. The ABA Legal Opportunity Scholarship Fund will award $5,000 of financial assistance annually to each scholarship recipient attending an ABA-accredited law school. An award made to an entering first-year student may be renewable for two additional years, resulting in financial assistance totaling $15,000 during his or her time in law school. To obtain a word document of the application please visit: http://www.ambar.org/DiversityScholarship. Deadline: March 2, 2015.
- Banner & Witcoff is proud to offer the Donald W. Banner Diversity Scholarship for law students. This scholarship is part of Banner & Witcoff’s commitment to fostering the development of intellectual property lawyers from diverse backgrounds. Law students who meet the selection criteria and have entered into a JD program at an ABA-accredited law school in the United States are eligible to apply for the scholarship. Applicants may not be a current or past employee of Banner & Witcoff, or directly related to a current employee of Banner & Witcoff. Deadline: January 12, 2015.
- Console & Hollawell Legal Leaders Scholarship is a $1,000 open to high school seniors, college students, and law students. Deadline: July 15, 2015.
- Cope Law Offices is pleased to announce the first annual Law School Student Loan Scholarship of $2,000. To be eligible recipients must be financing their entire law school education with student loans and scholarships, a U.S. citizen currently attending an accredited law school within the United States and academic achievement reflected by a minimum 3.3 GPA and have completed at least one semester of classes at an accredited law school. To submit an application, please fill out the contact us section and choose scholarship as the reason for contact.
- Empowering Women In Law Scholarship is a $2,000 scholarship open to women nationwide who are currently attending law school. The application can be found here: http://thepearcelawfirm.com/empowering-scholarship Deadline: December 31, 2014
- Juvenile Justice Law School Scholarship. We are committed to juvenile justice and want to encourage young people to pursue a career in law and hopefully make a difference to someone in their careers. We have discovered that nothing matters more in the early life of a youth charged with a crime than lawyers, legal professionals, and judges who are committed to defending the rights of the youth. $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an applicant exclusively for law school tuition and related expenses. For any law student attending (or accepted and planning to attend) an accredited law school. 3.5+ GPA . Details & Application: http://www.criminallawdenver.com (scroll down to bottom of page for scholarship information link) Scholarship offered by: Tiftickjian Law Firm, P.C. Deadline: July 31, 2015
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Awareness/Law School Scholarship: The Law Office of Renkin & associates is pleased to announce the creation of a Scholarship offer. It was established to provide financial support to a law student whose life has been impacted by Lymphoma or Leukemia and is seeking to continue their education through law school. $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an applicant exclusively for law school tuition and related expenses. For a law student attending (or accepted and planning to attend) an accredited law school and has been affected (or a family member) by or dealing with issues related to Lymphoma or Leukemia. 3.0+ GPA. Scholarship offered by The Law Office of Renkin & Associates. Details and application can be found at: http://www.renkinlaw.com (click on Scholarship at top of page) Deadline to apply: April 30, 2015
- Marine Appreciation – Law School Scholarship. With the cost of rising tuitions, the Open Tax Resolution Law Student scholarship has been started as a way to contribute to the families who have sacrificed so much in order to allow their loved ones to serve and protect our country through their military service. It was established to provide financial support to a law student whose life has been impacted by a family member serving in the Marine Corps and who is seeking to continue their education through law school. $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an applicant exclusively for law school tuition and related expenses. For any law student attending (or accepted and planning to attend) an accredited law school and is or has had a family member in the Marine Corps. 3.0+ GPA . Details Application: http://ChicagoTaxTeam.com (click on Scholarship at top of page). Scholarship offered by: ChicagoTaxTeam.com / The Law Office of Steven A. Leahy, PC. Deadline: June 30, 2015
- Suhre & Asscoiates Law Firm Scholarship worth $500 from Suhre & Associates, a Columbus law firm. Application: http://suhrelawcolumbus.com/scholarship-application/ Deadline to apply: May 31, 2015
- The Baumgartner Law Firm offers a scholarship for current or incoming law students based on need and commitment to helping others. One student will receive a $3,000 scholarship. Applicants must be enrolled or accepted at an accredited Law School in the US, (persons who have applied to law school but have not yet been accepted may apply, however, the scholarship will only be awarded to someone enrolled in an accredited school at the time of scholarship selection). Applicants apply online and the application can be found at: https://baumgartnerlawyers.com/baumgartner-law-firm-scholarship-application The Baumgartner Law Firm is a leading personal injury law firm based in Houston, Texas. Deadline to apply: August 31, 2015.
- Vision Zero Auto Awareness/Law School Scholarship. Vision Zero is a multi-pronged attack on the causes of traffic accidents. It uses improved road safety (design-focused measures), driver education, and increased enforcement of traffic laws. This combination has been shown to dramatically reduce the number of traffic fatalities, and Boston Attorney John Sheehan is trying to raise awareness of the potential by offering a scholarship to students willing to focus on the issue of traffic safety. $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an applicant exclusively for law school tuition and related expenses. Scholarship will be awarded to a first or second year law student, or entering law school in the Fall of 2015. 3.0+ GPA. Details & Application: http://www.attorneysheehan.com (click on Scholarship at top of page). Scholarship offered by Attorney John Sheehan. Deadline: July 31, 2015.
- Ladah Law Firm Injury Scholarship is a $2,000 scholarship open to applicants nationwide who are currently attending law school. Application can be found here: http://www.ladahlaw.com/injury-scholarship Deadline: May 31, 2015
- Michigan Auto Law Diversity Scholarship is open to students in their first or second year of law school. The recipient must be a member of an ethnic or racial minority or demonstrate a defined commitment to issues of diversity within their academic career. Deadline: May 1, 2015.
- Waechter Medical-Legal Scholarship is a $1,000 award open to all students. Applicants must submit a 150-word essay, which will be judged on creativity. Applications accepted annually from January 1 through September 1.
- Warren County Bar Association Scholarship is a $1,000 for Warren County residents. Applicants should submit a letter and resume to the bar association, indicating their background, law school plans, and any other pertinent information. Send to: Warren County Bar Association, 500 Justice Drive, Lebanon, OH 45036.